Do It Yourself - Built your one insect hotel
BE[E]Kleinwalsertal has been in everyones head since last summer and that the largest hotel in Kleinwalsertal is inhabited by more than 10,000 guests. For all of you who have always wanted to be a host, we are happy to show you how you can become a host in a few minutes.
Because recycling and sustainability is a thing
Sustainability is THE main topic all over the world! Also here in Kleinwalsertal - and that's good because we care a lot about our environment and nature. Last year, the project BE[E]Kleinwalsertal got a big rock rolling in order to prevent the insect extinction and thus to support the preservation of nature.
But what does that have to do with sustainability? - As part of the BE[E]Kleinwalsertal project, an insect hotel was built in the newly created flowering garden in Hirschegg, which will inhabitat over 10,000 insects in the future. And YOU can built your own DIY Insect hotel at home. A little bit smaller, of course, but it's on you to choose the size of your new hotel.
-> sustainabilty comes in handy: you can use materials that you already have at home anyway, so you can reuse them and thus support sustainability.
For the DIY insect hotel take the following materials:
- Cans, flowerpots made of wood (large, small, medium) -> the larger the containers, the more insects will find their new shelter
- String & Tape -> There is nothing that string and tape can't fix - Together they are an unbeatable team!
- Pens (thick, thin) -> for small, large, wide and narrow hotel rooms
- Newspapers (old or new) -> choose the content of newspapers wisely, you never know what insects might do with that information...
- Cutter-Knife -> but attention! - Only cut paper & string!
- Scissors -> alternative to the cutter knife
4 steps to built your own insect hotel:
- Cut the newspaper in a size that it fits into the can or flowerpot (image 3)
- Roll up the individual newspaper strips and tape it together, that it doesn't unroll (image 2)
- Fill up the can or flowerpot with the newspaper rolls
- Optional: you can attach a string to the can to string up the insect hotel