Lourdeskapelle - chapel

The chapel is located directly behind the parish church in Mittelberg.

In 1897 the chapel was built as a foundation of the master builder Friedrich Mathies (1838-1900). He was a trained locksmith, stayed in Switzerland and Lower Austria and brought it very far in his career. He built in Vienna in view of the housing shortage three stock interest houses. At his significant initiative there was the well-known Cottageanlage, consisting of three villas. His grave is in Kasten near Vienna. In his birthplace Mittelberg he has set a beautiful monument to his home-boundness. The main portal of the parish church, which has been bricked up since 1693, was reopened after completion of the chapel building, as it now provided effective protection against the Heuberglawine. The tapered wall of the chapel on the mountain side is intended to repel the onslaught of snow from Heuberg.

Contact

Kleinwalsertal Tourismus eGen
Walserstrasse 264
6992 Hirschegg
Phone 0043 5517 5114-0