With timpani and trumpets into the New Year
So colorful, so romantic, so high up in the air ... so much money, so much fine dust, so much noise. Now we killed the New Years fun, didn'we? But we only want to create awareness.
>>> Read citizen information (in german language) or keep on reading
See it from another angle
For centuries, fireworks have exerted an uncanny fascination on us humans. There is hardly a major event today, culminating in an artfully arranged fireworks display.
Did you know that in the past only pyrotechnics specialists were allowed to light fireworks and today toddlers watch their daddies in their own home garden lighting up the fireworks? Pretty scary, in fact...
Noise = stress for humans and animals
Fireworks can reach a sound pressure level of up to 170 dB (decibels). For comparison, the noise level of a jet engine 25 meters away is about 140 dB and it's already unbearable at 110 dB.
Older people, infants, pets and pets suffer extremely from the prolonged noise and this is an extreme stress factor. Wild animals and pets also can hear many times better than humans. The noise of fireworks leads them either to frightened crawling or panic escape behavior. That is how your pet reacts aswell, right?
From fine dust to an accident report
- What humans blow up on this day, based on the readings on every other day of the year, would make the telephone wires in the environmental centers of the countries glow
- The limit value of particulate matter (PM 10) is exceeded by almost 10 to 15 times at almost all municipal measuring points in Austria
- Depending on the location and meteorological conditions, New Year's fireworks are responsible for up to eight days of particulate matter
- After the explosion of the fireworks, heavy metal particles float around in the air, adding color to the fireworks. Including: strontium, lead, selenium or cesium
- Burned-out fireworks cause tons of garbage to be disposed of by yard workers, landowners and farmers
- However, what falls back to nature in the wild remains there and poses a considerable danger to wildlife and to animals in agriculture through food intake - or did you order deer with metal particles?
- For many people, the pyrotechnic New Year's Eve fun ends in the hospital and not infrequently caused property damage and fires by duds. Fire brigade and emergency physicians are in constant use!